Protect Your Belongings During an Open House
An open house can feel like an intrusion of your space and private sanctuary. But it’s also a necessary step to sell your home. Here are some tips to protect your belongings during the process:
· If you want to keep your personal life private, hide picture frames and personal items in drawers.
· Be sure to lock up jewelry or expensive small items in a safe or even locked in your car for the showings.
· If there are items you want kept away from foot traffic, considering storing it at a friend’s house or in your car during appointments.
· Bigger items you would like kept away from peering eyes can be stored in boxes in closets.
· Take inventory of possessions before open house appointments are scheduled if you are worried about small items. This way you will have a record if you believe anything has gone missing.
· Always have someone present during showings if possible. A set of eyes to monitor the property is a great deterrent for possible thieves.
While an open house should not cause additional stress during the home buying or selling process, it is always a good idea to be mindful of your property and possessions. Keep this list handy for ideas when it comes to protecting your belongings during an open house.